True Health 4ever Podcast Ep. 84: The Great Resignation
Listen to the Full Episode Here
- Most people, realistically why are they working is for money. It’s like deciding if I wanted to save money or just like to maintain a lifestyle okay like i think it's probably to provide for their family like i think it's a mixture of those three things.
- People do work for some type of purpose.
- We often do the jobs that we don’t like just to pass by and earn some money for our individual unique reason.
- Always asses and ask yourself: is it the level of money or is it the level of job you know what I’m saying so if you would have done doing all this and make it worth it is it the getting an 80,000 - 90000 job what if it wasn't engineering or the field that you like? what if it was a you know a job that had nothing to do with your major but made good money versus a job that has nothing to do with your major and it's also only paying minimum wage like is the money the factor or is the job factor?
- Strategize and look for a job: Look for internships that may help you improve yourself and gauge you towards a job that can sustain you.
- Just like in physics, an object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Unless something drastic happens that shifts your life trajectory, your energy will go towards that direction. I think for a lot of people, that something drastic has to be an outside force. In this case it's the pandemic
- A lot of people take their first job and continue with it because of experience and momentum, even if it wasn't their passion
- How the pandemic may have helped break that momentum: We at TH4 think it was a force that came in and it helped people to possibly change directions.
- Greater change requires the greatest impact.
- Getting the position, you aimed for doesn’t always mean that you’ll be fulfilled or happy. We often then to overlook how that job or situation may affect us in the long run and the more that we settle in that position the more we realize and come to a point where we need to reassess and question ourselves. “Is this where I want to be? Is this really for me? Let’s say You got the bag, job, position, tasks you were curious about and felt like exploring, but then you get the roll and it's like okay this is not all that it was cracked up to be, like the responsibility that you wanted do you like having it?
05:00 Why do you think people are working?
06:27 People do work for some type of purpose
08:33 Unpack that one more layer for me: Why and what is our goal for working?
09:29 I don't want this to all be for nothing
09:32 Is it the level of money or is it the level of job?
11:12 That Diploma: What we did right after graduation
11:40 Homeless: Devon shares his experiences in finding a job along with his struggle.
12:29 Making That First Job Decision: Your Path and Why you stuck with it.
12:45 How the pandemic may have helped break that momentum: Driving force towards career change.
12:59 Physics- An Object in motion: Sinclair gives a powerful analogy through the lens of physics.
14:10 Great job for like 50 of it: De'Von Shares his own experiences with trying to find your path
15:33 Getting in a path you’re good at but never really passionate about.
16:01 officially putting in my notice: Sinclair shares her take on not being passionate about something but still being good at that Job.
18:25 The grass is not always greener on the other side
18:54 What is the reality of the job every single day for you?
19:43 our brains are wired to seek comfort
21:46 The Pandemic Hit: Realizations and changes during the because of the Pandemic
30:47: How do you feel about your job? – I experienced what it was like.
49:35 Retirement: state where they can enjoy the life
50:00 Find that Passion
52:57 I’m more curious than fearful
53:23 practical and realistic: Financial advice from DeVon in keeping your expenses low
- At what expense are we gonna settle in for something that we really aren’t passionate about? Doing these oftentimes lead to burnout and depression from work. Ask yourself what is the reality of that job for you?
- What do you feel first thing in the morning before going to work or how do you feel just by merely thinking about work?
- Sometimes your lifestyle is the one that traps you into not moving forwards in life and in your career even if its really draining you out.
- Start the process of uh of finding whatever passion is for you and incorporate that into your life. Live your purpose now! Find your passion now! The more that you delay it the more you won’t be able to retire into the life that you’ve always wanted. You’ll just waste your life in meaningless work all for the sake of earning or maintaining a lifestyle that you couldn’t afford in the first place.
“What keeps you at your job? Is it the amount of money or is it the level of responsibility?” – De'Von Truvel
“Some of us rush into jobs to make sure the stress, sweat, tears, and mental exhaustion we went through from school was worth something." – De'Von Truvel
“I feel like a lot of people make their first job decision based on need, the second based on experience, and a career based on momentum not passion.” – De'Von Truvel
“Just like physics where an object that's in motion stays in motion unless it's acted upon by an outside force. For a lot of people the pandemic was that outside force that changed their trajectory." – Sinclair Theee Health Nerd
“ If you keep working for the money eventually you'll become the best at something that you've never really passionate about.” – De'Von Truvel
“The grass is not always greener on the other side” – Sinclair Theee Health Nerd
“Our brains are wired to seek comfort . We have to resist that way of thinking.’’ – Sinclair Theee Health Nerd
“Live you Purpose now! Don’t Delay that.” - True Health 4ever
“Start the process of finding your passion and incorporate that into your life” – Sinclair Theee Health Nerd
“At this point in my life, I’m more curious than fearful” – Sinclair Theee Health Nerd
The Smash Program at UC DAVIS
Play Black Wall Street
Potluck by Sinclair